Learn to walk the journey of visio divina together. Subscribe to this Visio Divina “Turning the Page” feature to be part of a community, learning how to walk this path using photography as an aid in the contemplative journey of peace. You will receive guidance and training each month directly from me. Here’s what to expect in a monthly email delivered directly to you as a subscriber:
- A monthly Deep Dive. Reflections of a contemplative nature (some theological stuff too) where you’ll be helped to integrate the practice of “visio divina”. This is an area where I’ve developed a regular discipline of utilizing photography as I practice the traditional spiritual disciplines of solitude, silence, lament, prayer, retreat, and several other practices.
- A monthly “how-to” section on adding soul to your own photography. This will be more artistic in nature, looking at things like composition, the use of light, perspective, depth of field, etc to enhance your experience of photography but also the parallels I’ve found in the spiritual life. It’s all connected for me.
- Frequent photography tips on taking better pictures and techniques in post processing. This will be more technical in nature where we get to geek out a bit. But don’t worry, this will be straightforward and should be accessible for anyone. I will also make every effort to make this something you can do with you phone camera.
- Weekly photo plus a quote featuring material from my published calendars over the last 7 years.
- Occassional feature stories and instruction or reflection on the larger work of visual peacemaking that is one of my passions. This will be from my stuff in interfaith bridge building ministry and peacemaking.
Here’s a pitch on my credentials and why I think I can help you in this journey? I’ve been on this photographic journey since I was a teenager, studied and practiced spirituality with Catholics and Protestants; with the Jesuits, Benedictines, the Selah community and Dallas Willard. I’ve done silent retreats in Mexico as well as New Mexico. I’ve journeyed with a Spiritual Director and studied this stuff in graduate school as well as the school of personal failure. I’m also a visual peacemaker, having co-produced a film on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict telling the story of peacemakers in conflict, and I use photography to tell stories across other cultural divides, principally the Christian-Muslim divide. I help to remove labels and build bridges of understanding where walls normally exist. Visio Divina & Visual Peacemaking are two sides to the same coin for me. It’s a full orbit, inward and outward, journey of peace. I’ve found the intersection of these two streams very important in my life. And, also in these times. I’m very excited to share what I’ve learned with others this year and to build a community that knows inner peace, while working for communal peace.
I’ve found the intersection of these two streams very important in my life. And, also in these times.